Wednesday 28 November 2012

Test Kitchen: Day 3 (Homemade Bacon)

"Pip Pip and good day chaps. I'm Mr. Bone, brand new ambassador for bone broth. Fear no bone mates, you have nothing to gain but health and welly! Now back to the MVJ Diaries. Cheerio!"


Bahahah, don't you love Mr.Bone? He's so cute. You haven't seen the last of that saucy Brit, I can promise you!

Busy busy busy in the test kitchen....Bone Broth round 2. The first thing I did after a very needed sleep in was examine my bone broth. I was slightly horrified to realize the water level had dropped so low. I mean it's good because it's nice and concentrated but bad because I have less actual volume of liquid and this level was still with the bones in it. For future batches when I remove the veggies at the 24 hour mark (I found that this is my method rather than throwing them in later I put them in at the start then fish them out after 24 hours) I will add more water then instead of around the 30 hour mark


Since the level was so low I wanted to see what state the bones were in...they were in a very very good state. This knife went in rather easy.


I let the bone cool and I was able to flake the bone off with my finger nail. SUCCESS! I was totally in position to do what I was unable to do last time...



I fished out the huge shank bone...no dice...it was still freaking rock hard and scalding hot but I noticed the marrow was still clinging to the inside so I grabbed tongs and turned the bone over to let the marrow slide out which slide out in a long 6 inch intact piece. So I fished it out an took a picture...just for you. It is the circular tan tube on the left. I dropped that fantastic-ness back in the pot although admittedly I was tempted to take a bite.


The bones were soft enough to do what I was too much of a vagina to do last time, which was blend the bones in a high powered blender...*PLEASE ONLY DO THIS IS A VITAMIX OR BLENDTEC FOR THE LOVE OF MR.BONE!* or just smash 'em with a hammer for the truly low-tech, free workout way.


Bones ready for take off. I'll admit, I was kinda terrified and have totally junked up my expensive camera with animal products


I put the lid on, flexed my yoga biceps and ran the longest cycle. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Bone mash after 35 seconds.


A better look at the bone mash or bone slurry that technology gave me. Thank you progress for high powered appliances.


Licked clean?


Next up...Zeee BA-CON! After slow roasting last night, then cooling, then getting a luxurious one night stay in Hotel Frigidaire he was ready to FINALLY be cooked and nomed. This bacon is 100% made by me. Only sea salt and a pinch of garlic powder went into this belly. I started this bacon last Monday.


Time to slice it up...THICK CUT FOR YOUR BUTT! (bahaha...EMT I love you)


Fry it up. With all the busy-ness in the test kitchen I didn't really make myself a proper breakfast and I was out of bone broth so no normal morning but I had a hard boiled egg and a glass of homemade almond milk with about 2 tbsps of cold pressed organic virgin flax seed oil it to hold me over until the bacony goodness. I am pretty sure that oil is not compliant so I am trying to finish up as much as I can before Saturday. Here it is in the shaker cup before shaking. After shaking I just pound it or else the oil and milk separate quick. Cold pressed flax seed oil was the very first supplement I ever took over 10 years ago. I like it. I used to eat it mixed into Greek yogurt. It has a kind of nutty taste. It is only good in the fridge after opened for 4 weeks and it is not for heat cooking.


Bacon cooking...my cast iron seems to smoke a lot. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but I have no hood fan and the world's most sensitive smoke detector so back to the non-stick for now.


 The beautiful perfect, finished product *cue angel music* Soooooo good... salty, fatty, crunchy with a slight pork taste that is covered up by sugar and fake maple flavor in store bought products.


Sliced up and ready for the freezer (since it's not smoked, it needs to be frozen. From my research I am under the impression that smoked bacon can be stored in the fridge once sliced. Correct me if I am wrong meat lovers! I love knowledge.)


The bone broth was a success. I strained the meat but it had a more granular texture from going through the blender....sooooo...if the bone broth isn't mega gelatinous I won't do the blender trick again because I am not big on the grainy-ness on the meat. That meat is a large portion of my meat intake for the week and I don't want to have to just choke it down.


These were the larger chunks that were not quiet as grainy. This stuff I will eat with breakfast. The other stuff I have ideas of pate and meatloaf floating in my head.


The hollow shank. The batch went for just over 48 hours and all the other bones broke down but not the shank. I am curious to know how long it would take it to fully beak down (possible experiment)


CONFESSION: I ate bones. All the small bits of bone were soft. The crumbled like a cheap candy when pressure was applied. I tried a small piece, then a bigger piece and it wasn't as awful as one would assume. Slightly granular and it kinda sticks in your teeth but not utterly revolting. Not that I would sit down with a bowl of boiled bones but I had to try it.


Also just a quick article on "canola" oil...there is no such thing as canola, "canola" is a made up word that was made up because heavily processed rapeseed oil just wasn't selling. I have lived in Canada for damn near my whole life and most of that information was new to me (I found out about the rancid oil and deodorizing about a month ago...disgusting!) And the fact that it basically looks like the Canadian government strong armed the FDA into giving it the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) certification even though there are no long term studies...TERRIFYING!

READ HERE    "canola"

No comments:

Post a Comment